Reasons and tips to choose Majorca as a Erasmus Destination
There is no doubt Majorca is a perfect destination for holiday and for some people a paradise to live. But, do you know that is possible to study a university degree in Majorca? There is a University and it is part of Erasmus Program for European University Students. Studying in the sun all year, can be it true? I was studying Tourism there for 4 years and met some Erasmus students. They were really happy to come Majorca but some times they complain about the lack of information about some matters. I am agree with them, you should come here to study but there are few things you must know to get the most of your Erasmus experience.
But, first of all why you should choose Majorca as your Erasmus destination?
1. Majorca as a holiday destination has good flight connection with European major Cities all the year around.
2. You can enjoy all the year warm weather. Autumn and Spring temperatures are really warm and winter is short and less cold than Northern European
3. Majorca’s university named Universitat de les Illes Balears, also known as UIB. It is located outside of Palma overlooking Tramuntana Mountains. The Tramuntana’s landscape was included in World Heritage List by Unesco. It is like an American campus, all the buildings in the same place. There are not only faculties with libraries and cafeterias, also there is a gym, chemists, medical services, student residence, bookshop and bank branches.
4. Palma, the main city of the island has a unique historic quarter with roman, jewish, muslim and christian footprints. Also it has an interesting architecture with a lots of Gothic and art noveau buildings.
5. Majorca is not a big island, there is no more 100km distance. You can reach easily every place by bus, train or car.
6. You can enjoy the variety of local food, fish, meat, vegetables and of course a wide sweet variety like the famous “ensaimadas”, spiral cakes filled with cream, chocolate or pumpkin.
7. You can attend not also classes, you can take part in a lot of university parties, outside the campus in Palma city clubs and discos. Some university parties from some degrees became a tradition and every year take place.
8. Only in Majorca you can see a rounded castle (Bellver Castle), hiking a mountain with a hole (Na Foradada) or hear a concert in a cavern (Drac caverns).
Are you ready for studying in the sun? Ok, then there are some tips to help you prepare your stay in Majorca.
1. Search the information about the degree and subjects to take. There is an English version of UIB website where you can found some information about it. Check also the Spanish version to get more information about subjects or timetables. Maybe you have to change plans once you are here, subjects offered change a little every year but don’t worry you could choose other subjects.
2. You are not alone. Your university of origin and UIB can advise you about the process. Also is important to know there is an Information office in the Campus, you can get there all the information available about the university and also several universities of Spain. They can answer any question you have or redirect to right person or department.
3. Be Social. Ask previous years Erasmus students of university and try to reach local students of Majorca who can give you fresh and updated information about university useful for your stay. And of course once you are here, meet other students and take part of parties and other university activities.
4. Is Spanish the only language spoken in Majorca? There are two official languages Spanish and Catalan, and the last one is the main university language. Teachers may teach in Spanish also if you asked them. The university offers Spanish and Catalan courses for Erasmus students but there is a good idea learning the basics in advance just in case you need.
5. Where is the best place to stay? Find a room to rent in Palma before to come. You can live also in the student university residence at the Campus but the transport options are really bad at night and weekends. Also staying in Palma you can enjoy and discover better the city and the island.
6. Take the opportunity to know other cities of Spain. Do you know you can get half price flights to other Spanish cities? As a National of EU country you can register as a Palma citizen to be eligible for the discount.
7. Need some money to pay your expenses or want to get some work experience? If you speak German or Russian could be easy for you find work placement or even a job in tourism. Many companies prefer hire international students for some positions. Ask at University, they have agreements with companies to ensure a good work conditions.
8. Is it cold in Majorca in Winter? Rains a lot? It not cold as a Northern Europe what some times you can feel like an ice cube. This is because of the humidity, that makes you colder than the real temperature is. But don’t worry the winter is short starts in December – January and ends in March. Of course it rains in Majorca and could be a chaos sometimes. Heavy or light rain may cause traffic problems in Palma be prepared for it. A good raincoat could be better than an umbrella because sometimes wind comes together rain.
These are only a few but important tips to enjoy the island and make profit of your studies.
Erasmus Experience is one of the best things you can do in your student life. Live in other country and meet other culture it is a lifetime opportunity you cannot get lost.
Have you ever been to Majorca for Erasmus? Tell us about your experience on comments. There is any more tip to add to this survival guide?
Post Written by Judith Rivero , from Travelling Dijuca